If you see damage throughout your yard, the cause might be just one inch long: a grub worm. Although they’re small, grub worms can cause extensive damage. They destroy your grass and plants by eating the roots, which causes the grass to wilt and die. Plus, grubs also attract other pests like birds and raccoons that dig up your lawn to eat the grubs.
Fortunately, a qualified pest control specialist can provide grub extermination services in Chicago, IL.
What Is a Grub?
A grub is essentially a young beetle. It has a soft white body, a dark head, and 6 legs. It goes through 3 stages of growth before eventually turning to a pupa. About a year after its birth, it becomes an adult beetle.
When and Why Do Grubs Damage Yards?
The appearance of grubs depends on the season. For example, let’s look at the life cycle of the common Japanese beetle.
- Japanese beetles lay their eggs under the soil in July.
- The grubs hatch 2 weeks later and start to feed on grass roots.
- The grubs molt into second and third stages in August through October and continue to eat roots.
- They move deeper in the soil during late autumn and winter.
- In spring, they begin to feed on roots again, but not as extensively as they do in the fall.
- In late spring, they turn into pupae.
- In June or July, the pupae become full-fledged adult beetles.
As you can see, most grubs cause damage July through October. In late July and early August, they are small and close to the surface, so this is the best time to control their population. Catch the grubs early and you will prevent further damage to your yard.
How Can You Control a Grub Infestation?
If you notice grub damage in your yard, call a pest control company for grub removal services in Chicago, IL.
At Chem-Wise, we safely apply chemicals to your yard to eliminate grubs. We have over 20 years’ experience, a high rating with the BBB and Angie’s List, and a commitment to top-notch customer service.
We also aim to eliminate your pests at an affordable rate and with only minimally invasive techniques. Our certified entomologist verifies our company’s pest removal processes.
Contact us for grub extermination services in Chicago, IL when the grubs are young, and keep your yard beautiful all year round.